Program-based Placements (PBP) - Logistics
Student Health Insurance Coverage
In the case of emergencies related to health and well being, all students will be covered by one of the three plans below should anything happen to them in the course of their EE experiences:
- YFS Health Plan
- UHIP (For non-resident students)
York University General Liability Insurance
- Protects against claims from a 3rd party (bodily injury, personal injury, third party property damage, malpractice) as long as individuals are acting within their scope of their employment or studies at York University.
- Students, as members of the community, are covered while performing any duty or taking part in any activity that is considered an officially sanctioned part of regular or extraordinary studies or recreational activities connected with the University - both in Canada and worldwide. This extension does not apply to any act which is considered a protest against the University, or which is deemed to be an illegal act.
- The General Liability policy is not designed to provide coverage for an individual in the event of a personal injury.
“Program Required” Insurance coverage
The Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development (MAESD) provides Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) coverage for Ontario Post-secondary students who must complete a CBR, CSL or Placement as a requirement of their publicly supported post-secondary education program.
- Learning/placement sites that are WSIB eligible will qualify for this coverage.
- Learning/placement sites that are not WSIB eligible will qualify for private insurance "ACE-INA". See the MAESD site for details.
- Students and the "practicum center" must complete the appropriate forms to activate the coverage (see forms section below).
Forms & Agreements
Consult with your EE-Coordinator (PDF) for your Faculty specific guidelines and processes prior to completion of applicable forms. No forms or agreements should be completed without first contacting your EE Coordinator.
The following forms must be completed to activate MAESD WSIB coverage. These documents may be packaged with the Affiliation Agreement (see Partner and Affiliation Agreements section):
Practicum and CSL Health and Safety Checklist (Schedule A -- to be completed by the Practicum Center)
Student and Partner Declarations (Schedule B -- to be completed by both student and Practicum Center)
Student Contract (Schedule C -- to be completed by the student)
Note: York keeps the original and copies are distributed to the Practicum Center and the student.
Partner & Affiliation Agreements
These agreements are generated by the Office of the Counsel, York University. The EE lead in each Faculty will be able to direct you to the appropriate personnel that can assist you in obtaining affiliation agreements.
A formal, legal Affiliation Agreement is made between York University and the Learning or Placement Site. Such agreements outline:
- Obligations of the Learning Site
- Obligations of the University
- Term of the Agreement, and Termination of the Agreement
- Research Agreement (CBR only)
- Data Sharing/Transfer agreement (CBR only)
- Other considerations that are specific to the learning experience
Please note that there are general templates for affiliation agreements, each of which have different insurance procedures (see insurance coverage section):
- “Program Required” (i.e., students must complete the experience in order to graduate)
Vulnerable Sector Screening
(NB: May take up to 15 weeks)
Many community organizations require all their volunteers, employees, and placement students to undergo a vulnerable sector police check. These are done to protect clientele who are considered “vulnerable persons.” A vulnerable person is a person who, because of their age, disability or other circumstance, whether temporary or permanent, is (a) in a position of dependence on others or (b) is otherwise at greater risk than the general population of being harmed by a person in a position of authority or trust relative to him or her. Refer to this handout for more info.